Currently hiring for the following positions:
*Early Childhood & After School Combination Teacher Position (full time)
*School Age Afternoon Teacher (part time)
Enjoy this video made by the ECP staff about why you should join our teaching team!
Combination Teacher (After School and Early Childhood Program)
**January 2024 Start Date
The Wellesley Community Children’s Center Combination Teacher position is an innovative role created by WCCC to enable After School teachers to have full time (twelve months with 35-40 hours each week) jobs and provide continuity of care for Early Childhood Program classrooms in the summer. ‘Combo’ Teachers work with full-time teachers in the Early Childhood Program classrooms in the morning and at the After School Program in the afternoon during the Wellesley Public School year. In the ‘summer’, Combination Teachers work exclusively at the Early Childhood Program; typically serving as the fourth team member, while each of the full time teachers takes a vacation. The Early Childhood Program serves approximately 100 children from 3 months to 5 years old in eight classrooms in a fabulous building on the Wellesley College campus. WCCC has an After School site, serving children from kindergarten through fifth grade at each of town’s six elementary schools.
**Infant Combination Teacher Schedule (35 hours): with Infants MTThF 9:00am-12:00pm and with Elementary School Aged Children MTThF 2:00-6:00pm (2-3pm set up/planning) W 11:00-6:00pm
At the Early Childhood Program, Combos work alongside the full time classroom teachers; helping to organize the set-up and cleanup of classroom areas, activities, and snack. Combination Teachers play an integral role in the care of WCCC’s children and execution of developmentally appropriate daily classroom routines and social connections. Some Combination Teachers will serve in an assistant teacher capacity, while others who have their EEC teacher qualifications, will function as co-teachers with their ECP colleagues. In the summer, Combination Teachers work a 35 hour work week; 30 hours in the classroom (shifts range from 7:30am-1:30, 8:00am-2:00 and 12-6:00pm) and 5 hours of paid planning time which teachers use to write weekly journal entries for children in their classroom.
At the After School Program, Combination Teachers provide enrichment activities, indoor and outdoor play supervision, homework and social pragmatic support and care for children after they have completed their day in their Wellesley Public School classroom. Each site has children from 5-11 years old, who spend some time grouped by grade and other time in a family-style mixed age group. Teachers are encouraged to share their own passions and skills with the children as they plan activities; sports, art, books, cooking, nature, etc.
WCCC is well known for its caring, committed and talented professional staff and boasts a remarkably high teacher retention rate. With our emergent curriculum model, we create innovative, dynamic, safe and nurturing communities of belonging.
We are looking for Combination Teachers who:
- Have some knowledge of child development and/or prior experiences as a teacher, camp counselor, tutor or babysitter of young children.
- Have very strong communication and collaboration skills
- Possess patience, warmth and empathy along with the appropriate enthusiasm and energy to work with young children
- Are flexible and able to adapt to program and schedule changes
- Work well as a part of a team
- Learn routines quickly, takes direction and asks questions readily.
- Have a strong work ethic: punctual, reliable, hard worker, committed
Job Responsibilities include:
- Classroom supervision and management
- Observation and assessment of young children
- Curriculum planning
- Design and upkeep of the classroom environment
- Parent Communication
- Following health and safety procedures
- Bachelors or Master’s degree preferred
- Have experience working with young children
- Must successfully pass a MA Background Records Check (CORI, SORI, DCF, and Fingerprinting)
- Must be physically able to perform the role of a teacher of young, active children
New hires for will receive a $1,000 hiring bonus!
- Typically, days off include the week between Christmas and New Year’s and all legal holidays.
- Teachers receive twenty days of paid leave time to cover needed vacation or sick days. One additional vacation day is granted for each subsequent year of employment up to 26 days per school year.
- First year benefits include health (WCCC pays 85% of individual plan), dental and disability insurance. WCCC provides life insurance at no cost to the employee.
- Second year benefits include voluntary enrollment into a TIAA retirement plan where WCCC will match 5% of teacher contributions.
- WCCC has an Employee Assistance Program to support staff and their families with counseling as well as personal and financial needs.
- As members of the Wellesley College community, WCCC teachers have access to college facilities and programs.
- Children of teachers who are between kindergarten and fifth grade may send their children to WCCC’s School Vacation Day Camps without charge.
- In addition to on-site trainings, first aid & CPR, WCCC provides professional development opportunities for teachers to meet EEC required professional development hours and will pay fees for staff to attend conferences and workshops.
- We are an equal opportunity employer who values diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and the needs of WCCC.
Please email your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
After School Program
We are currently interviewing candidates for the following positions:
- After School Teacher (part-time)
If you wish to be considered for a position, please email the After School Program Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.